Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Delta



I hit 3 cities in the Delta. The 1st, My Tho could have been totally skipped. Very touristy, a place where visitors from HCMC who don’t have enough time to visit the Delta, might come to for a taste.

Next stop, Vingh Long. Stayed at a hotel that was described as one of the best for this town. Outright scary – condoms being openly dispensed on each floor and an HIV Clinic around the corner. OMG, did hookers work out of here? I knew that this would be my 1 and only night at this joint. I got a little food, got into long pants and socks and stayed holed up in my room for the night. Previousely, walked to the tourism office and was able to put together a custom tour inclusive of a Home Stay for the next day.

A major day as arranged by the tourism office with lots of canals, walking, different size boat and  transfers between the boats depending on the tide, bicycle riding. I must say that although a bit pricey, I felt that the tourism office came through.



Small Mekong Canal - can be very tropical


The Home Stay turned out to be the most delightful of all. I slept in a bungalow under a mosquito net on a wonderful piece of property right on a canal of the Mekong. The breeze was delightful and dinner delicious & abundant. The most heartfelt aspect was the owner, Mr. Tien who I got to have several conversations with through my interpreter. As it turns out, my host was previously a member of the Viet Cong. One would never know. I told him how messed up so many of our soldiers were after such a 1:1 type war and what a terrible war it was for everyone. As it turns out this Home Stay in particular is one that many of the returning US soldiers stay at, I assume to reconcile the experience for themselves. Several visiting soldiers had given him gifts including their medal of honor from the US Army which Mr. Tien proudly showed me. Mr. Tien also told me that after the war, the government gave him the land which he subsequently developed into a robust hotel and restaurant. A raging capitalist.

Next stop, Can Tho which was thankfully a little slower paced. The gem here is the Pang Diem Floating Market, small, non-motorized boats with a lot of 1:1 exchange and sales.  Almost like bumper cars as all the vendors floated about.



 Example of a small vendors boat
I have decided to finish up in Vietnam a few days early and spend a few more days shooting outside of Bangkok. I dread the trip which will involve 1 more brush with the HCMC taxi drivers but hopefully the better Taxi Company will be at my bus station when I arrive – I learned how to pick them out.

More to come soon,
Carpe Diem,
Lorrie 
www.LorrieDallekPhotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment